Sunday, August 15, 2010

Back from Brazil

I have a confession to make...I'm tired!


After spending a week in Natal, Brazil doing a combination of construction and ministry programs our group of around 40 successfully landed in Orlando last night while the sun was landing on the horizon. The bus taking us to SRBC was full of people who would rather be sleeping in beds than in another plane or bus seat. No doubt, we will make up for some of that over the next few days. Bonnie wondered if Pastor Tom had the day off today, and I wondered if he would "call in sick". I know he earns his money while working among the people of Starkey, but he REALLY earned his money there. He was consistently busy laying brick, going where he was needed at the construction site, and was a real work horse at any of the events we attended. My respect for him multiplied tenfold through this week. We are privileged to have him as one of our pastors at Starkey.

For now we trust the Lord of the Harvest to water the seed that we were able to sow while being dedicated and determined to work beyond what any of us expected of ourselves. The display of teamwork from the oldest to youngest was absolutely phenomenal! And to think that I was able to be a part of this effort leaves me speechless. Words cannot express the deep feelings in my heart to know that God used me. Where words fail, tears of joy fill the void.

Another confession...I took too many photos. I know that and so does everyone else. Just ask them. :-) But these photos act as a chronicle of the efforts we made to make things work. So, that being said, I know without a doubt that browsing through to find the best amongst them will enable us to express to those who prayed for our safety that their prayers were heard. Nothing happened that was beyond repair. But, we did have a a close call when the oldest brick mason could have become a casualty when the wind blew down the narrow wall he was working on. God must have planned for me to be on the ground that day, and not up on the scaffold. Joe was up, I was down, and when the wall came tumbling down so did Joe. Suffice it to say that I was able to catch him before he hit the ground. In spite of this Joe got "back on the horse" and is a living example of God's grace, a grace that allows us to continue the work in spite of falling down. I believe we share a common respect for Joe that is far higher than we had before this incident.

Please enjoy a few photos taken in leisure time while being thrilled to see God do the artwork in the sky.

There's a lot more where these few came from. Our God is an awesome God!

No comments:

Post a Comment